Blockchain-Fueled Company Mateon Develops Phase 3 Clinical Drug Candidate, Against COVID-19 – OT-101
Blockchain company Mateon Therapeutics (OTCQB:MATN) has delivered the requisite testing results to Golden Mountain Partners (GMP) confirming the applicability and potential use of OT-101 for the treatment of COVID-19.
Amit Shah, CFO of Mateon stated:
“I am excited about the potential use of OT-101 against COVID-19. I congratulate the Mateon team on achieving this important milestone and I look forward to working with GMP to bring this important therapeutic to fight against the current COVID-19 epidemic and future epidemics.”
Mateon claims that OT-101, a TGF-β antisense drug candidate, exhibited potent activity against both COVID-19 and SARS with a robust safety index of >500. This is in accordance with the Supplement Research and Services Agreement with GMP executed on March 23, 2020, and GMP has accepted the testing results. The mechanism of action (MOA) for OT-101 against COVID-19 includes 1) Inhibition of cellular binding, 2) Inhibition of viral replication and 3) Suppression of viral-induced pneumonia. Based on OT-101’s MOA, Mateon anticipates that OT-101 would also be useful for future viral epidemics.
During phase 2 clinical trials in pancreatic cancer, melanoma, and colorectal cancers (Study P001) and in high-grade gliomas (Study G004), meaningful clinical benefits were observed and OT-101 exhibited a favourable safety profile. These clinical benefits included long term survival and meaningful tumour reduction. Both partial and complete responses have been observed in the G004 Phase 2 clinical trial of OT-101 as a single agent in patients with aggressive brain tumours. The company’s self-immunization protocol (SIP©) is based on a novel and proprietary sequential treatment of cancers with OT-101 (antisense against TGF-β2) and chemotherapies. This sequential treatment strategy is aimed at achieving effective self-immunization against a patients’ own cancer, resulting in robust therapeutic immune response and consequently better control of cancer and improved survival. Prolonged states of being cancer-free have been observed in some patients with the most aggressive forms of cancer, raising a renewed hope for a potential cure. The use of OT-101 lifts the suppression of the patient’s immune cells around the cancer tissue, providing the foundation for effective initial priming, which is critical for a successful immune response. The subsequent chemotherapy results in the release of neoantigens that result in a robust boost of the immune response.
Mateon has also submitted a Pre-Investigational New Drug (Pre-IND) application package to the Food and Drug Administration to allow the referencing of OT-101’s oncology IND in order to streamline the IND submission for OT-101 against COVID-19 and is expecting to then complete the IND submission.
Mateon was created by the recent merger with Oncotelic (a developer of TGF-beta RNA therapeutics) and PoinTR (cluster computer vision empowered blockchain company) in order to create an immuno-oncology company dedicated to the development of first in class RNA therapeutics as well as small molecule drugs against cancer. Vuong Trieu, PhD and the founder and chairman of Oncotelic and now serves as Chairman of the Board of Mateon Therapeutic following the merger of Oncotelic and Mateon. Dr. Trieu team has been leading drug discovery, preclinical and clinical development, and commercialization for many successful drug programs over 25 years, including Abraxane®- the leading chemotherapeutic agent against pancreatic cancer, lung, melanoma, and breast cancer with annual revenue of >1B USD. The team led the preclinical and clinical pharmacology efforts in the development of Abraxane and was the co-inventor of the intellectual property covering Abraxane. The team also invented and developed Cynviloq as 2nd generation Abraxane. Cynviloq completed phase 1,2, and 3 in breast, lung, and ovarian cancers.
- Polish Banks to Go Paperless Using Billon’s Distributed Ledger Technology – 16 April 2020
- Blockchain-Charged Browser Brave Explodes into the Internet Browser Race – Get Paid to Surf the Internet, Privacy Protected – 16 April 2020
- Startup Operator (Remote) at Protocol Labs (Anywhere) – 14 April 2020
- Site Reliability Engineer at Bitmex (San Francisco, CA, USA) – 14 April 2020
- Junior DevOps Engineer at Templum (New York, NY, USA) – 14 April 2020
- Senior Usability Researcher, Consumer Blockchain Product Development at AxiomZen (Vancouver, BC, Canada) – 14 April 2020
- Digital Graphic Designer at OKEx (Hong Kong) – 14 April 2020
- Business Intelligence Analyst at Bitpanda (Vienna, Austria) – 14 April 2020
- Director, European Sales at Gemini (London, UK) – 14 April 2020
- Senior Financial Data Scientist at Coinbase (San Francisco, CA, USA) – 14 April 2020
- Paralegal at Ledger (Paris, France) – 14 April 2020
- DevOps Engineer (SRE) – Remote EU at Swissborg (EU) – 14 April 2020
- Product Analyst at Republic (New York, NY, USA) – 14 April 2020
- Block Lattice Architecture Or Blockchain? DLT or DAG? Europeans Rally on GDPR-Compliant, Open Source, Cross-Border Framework for Phone Application Development – 9 April 2020
- Canadian Blockchain-Energised Company VitalHub Announces Deployment of COVID-19 Electronic Screening Tool for Long Term Care – 8 April 2020
- Blockchain Powered Immuno-Oncology Company Mateon Claims Anti-Malarial Drug Called Artemisinin, Derived from Asian Medicine Can Help Fight Covid-19 – 8 April 2020
- Auto Manufacturer Tesla To Use Blockchain Technology to Speed Up Shipping Supply Chain – 8 April 2020
- BlockConf DIGITAL Announces Epic 48-hours Online Blockchain Conference – 7 April 2020
- Global Virtual Earth Day Event Planned for April 22nd EST From The Blockchain for Social Impact Coalition – 7 April 2020
- ConsenSys’ Health Division Kicks Off STOP COVID-19 International Ethereum Hackathon – April 13, 2020 – 7 April 2020
Also published on Medium.
You may also like:
Polish Banks to Go Paperless Using Billon’s Distributed Ledger Technology
Blockchain-Charged Browser Brave Explodes into the Internet Browser Race – Get Paid to Surf the Inte…
Block Lattice Architecture Or Blockchain? DLT or DAG? Europeans Rally on GDPR-Compliant, Open Source…