Fastest Growing and Highest Revenue Mobile Messenger App in the World, Japan’s LINE to Launch LINK Cryptocurrency
LINE Corporation, a Tokyo-based subsidiary of the South Korean internet search giant Naver Corporation, plans for its subsidiary, LVC Corporation, the operator of LINE’s cryptocurrency and blockchain-related businesses, to begin trading its digital currency called LINK in Japan from as early as April 2020. The LINK token is managed by yet another subsidiary LINE TECH PLUS PTE. LTD. based in Singapore.
Now with that out of the way… this is huge news.
LINE, who raised over one billion dollars in an IPO in 2016 before the ICO bull market, has a massive revenue that exceeded $1 billion for the first time last year which puts them on top of the messaging apps revenue listings. The messaging app makes its money with stickers, various mobile apps, games, LINE friends (characters on different stickers), LINE Taxi, LINE Pay, and LINE Wow – a food delivery service.
The introduction of a cryptocurrency to a community with 600 million registered users and 217 million monthly active users is going to take tokenomics to another level, particularly if Non Fungible Tokens (NFTs) are also brought in for the creatives who design stickers, creating parallel markets.
LINK, trading on BITBOX cryptocurrency exchange on October 16, 2018, has been geofenced in the USA and Japan but LVC will roll out the coins in the Japanese market when Japan Virtual Currency Exchange Association (JVCEA) makes a decision on how to handle the new digital currency and the April 2020 release is tentative based on the JVCEA green light.
The LINE app began as a disaster response tool for the March 2011, Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami which damaged Japan’s telecommunications infrastructure nationwide, obliging employees at NHN Japan, a unit of South Korea’s NHN Corporation, to rely on Internet-based resources to communicate. The company’s engineers developed Line to facilitate this, and the company released its app for public use in June 2011.
According to Mansoor Iqbal at The Business of Apps, LINE Score, at its annual conference in June 2019, announced an AI-driven social credit rating system (such have been banned in the EU), AI chatbot LINE Duet, and LINE Mini App – a platform on which third parties can host pared-down versions of their apps (similar to a service offered by WeChat in China).
The Line App standard offerings include LINE Stickers and Creators Market, LINE Games and LINE Family Apps.
LINE has over 600 million registered users and 217 million monthly active users, putting them in the Top Ten Messaging Apps / Chat Apps globally by monthly active users (as of 2018). Japan provides over 80 million active users making LINE the most popular messaging service in the country.
A separate announcement will also be made once the handling of LINK on the BITMAX cryptocurrency exchange as well as other details are determined.
- Digital Monetary System Tagion Claims Open Source User-driven Networks Are The Future Of Liquidity In Crypto Assets And Fiat Digitalisation – March 11, 2020
- Caribbean Entrepreneur Builds First System That Allows You To Trade Cryptocurrency From WhatsApp – March 10, 2020
- Leading AdTech Firms Pilot World’s First Blockchain-Powered Digital Out-of-Home Advertising Campaign for Food Delivery Giant foodpanda – March 10, 2020
- Bitcoin Legend Charlie Shrem and BLOCKTV Team up to Bring Untold Stories to the Screen – February 26, 2020
- KLM To Use Blockchain to Streamline Financial Processes Thanks to Amsterdam-based Unchain and R3 – February 25, 2020
- Scottish Blockchain Company Hypervine Signs with European Space Agency Data To Improve Efficiency And Transparency For The World’s Mining Industry – February 22, 2020
- Loyyal Signs Three Year Production Agreement with The Emirates Group for Use of Blockchain Loyalty and Rewards Platform – February 21, 2020
- Enjin Platform Enables Game Developers to Integrate Blockchain Assets Without Blockchain Coding Experience – February 18, 2020
- Blockchain Project Cashaa Protecting Crypto Companies to Survive Fifth Money Laundering Directive and New FCA Rules in 2020 – February 8, 2020
- US SEC Boss Hester Peirce Suggests Three Year “Safe Harbour Period” For Token Sales – February 6, 2020
- China’s Hyperchain Plans to Take on Coronavirus With Blockchain-Fueled Donation Platform – February 6, 2020
- Blockstack Proposes Using Bitcoin, Novel ‘Proof of Transfer’ To Accelerate A Truly User-Owned Web 3.0 – February 6, 2020
- Hack Blockchain To The MAX! €15.000 Prizepool at MAXathon in Berlin April 18-19, 2020 – February 6, 2020
- Chiliz And Enjin To Launch Blockchain Collectibles Using NFTs For The Likes of Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Atlético de Madrid and West Ham – February 6, 2020
- MIT Researchers Claim to Boost Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Blockchain Transactions By 4x with New ‘Spider’ Routing Scheme – February 4, 2020
- Canada’s Blockchain Intelligence Group Signs USD$540,000 Contract with United States Feds – February 4, 2020
- The United States Marshals Services to Auction 4,040.54069820 Bitcoin – USD$37 Million – February 4, 2020
- OpenLegacy Project Gets $20m Strategic Investment from Japan’s SBI Holdings – Focus on Blockchain – February 4, 2020
- Fastest Growing and Highest Revenue Mobile Messenger App in the World, Japan’s LINE to Launch LINK Cryptocurrency – February 3, 2020
- Insolar to Launch MainNet on February 3, 2020 – Debuts Insolar’s New XNS Token – February 3, 2020
Also published on Medium.
You may also like:
Digital Monetary System Tagion Claims Open Source User-driven Networks Are The Future Of Liquidity I…
Caribbean Entrepreneur Builds First System That Allows You To Trade Cryptocurrency From WhatsApp
Leading AdTech Firms Pilot World’s First Blockchain-Powered Digital Out-of-Home Advertising Campaign…